CURATE AN EXHIBITION
The first step to curating your own show at Liberty Arts Gallery is to present your exhibition idea at the Annual Member’s Meeting. The presentations that get the most votes are then scheduled into the Exhibition Calendar for the upcoming year.
What are the responsibilities of a Curator?
You’ve had a great idea for an exhibition, it’s been voted on at the Members Meeting and approved by the board. This is when your work starts … you are the curator of your exhibition!
The curator is considered to be a manager or overseer of the exhibition. Depending on the size of a particular exhibition there may be just one curator or you may have a co-curator of your choice.
What does a curator do?
One of the main duties of a curator is to direct the acquisition of the artwork for the show. This can sometimes be very “hands on” if your show is an “Invitational exhibition” where you may have a more direct contact with the individual artists and their work. If your show is an “Open Call” your involvement will be in reviewing submissions from artists and selecting those pieces which fit your vision for your exhibition.
Liberty Arts provides all the necessary support as well as facilitating the different phases and responsibilities of the curator.
EXHIBIT YOUR ART
LIBERTY ARTS RULES AND GUIDELINES:
Each artist can submit up to three (3) pieces for consideration. The entry fee of $10 applies only to work that is accepted and is per artist, not per piece.
Work submitted should not have been shown previously at Liberty Arts.
How recent does my work have to be to enter the show?
Your work must have been made in the last five years. This is to ensure we are sharing contemporary work with our viewers and representing you best as an artist. Both you and the public deserve your most current and evolved artwork.
All submissions must be submitted by the deadline date.
The submitted work is viewed by a jury which usually includes the Curator and Exhibition Team. When the submission deadline expires, final decisions are made and Artists are contacted with the results of their entry.
If accepted, Artists are informed when to deliver their work to the gallery. There is a $10 entry fee per artist for accepted work only.
DISCLAIMER: Depending on space, Liberty Arts reserves the right to pull pieces at the last minute, due to space constraints or to create the strongest show possible. As the show is installed, a new clarity often emerges that may affect previous decisions and call for new ones.
Please submit work before midnight of the due date via email to:
Or via snail mail to:
108 W. Miner ST.
Yreka CA, 96097
To Submit Your Work please include the following information for each piece (up to 3 pieces):
1. Contact information: Name, Phone, Email Address, and Web site (if applicable)
2. Title, Dimensions, Materials of artwork
3. A digital image in JPEG format of your artwork (no bigger than 500kb) Please send your image/s as attachments rather than in the body of the email.
NOTE: If you are unable to email an image please make other arrangements for the curators to review your work by calling the gallery at 530.842.0222 right away.
4. Price of the artwork if it is for sale
5. All wall pieces must arrive ready to be hung/installed as follows …
- All work must be framed with the exception of sculptural and fiber arts artworks, in which case the artwork must have some way to be hung in a professional manner.
- Gallery wrapped canvases are acceptable where the staples used to secure the canvas are not visible. The sides of the canvas are prepared in the same manner as the face or front. They may then be painted a solid color or painted to continue the image appearing on the face. This method of stretching and preparing a canvas allows for a frame-less presentation of the finished painting or photograph.
- All work must be securely wired with wire appropriate for the weight of the work or with D-rings for heavier works … saw-tooth hangers are not reliable and are not recommended.
6. Each piece must be identified with the name of the artist and the title of the work on the back.
1. If your work is accepted, you will receive a confirmation email with further instructions reminding you when to bring your work
2. All work must be delivered to Liberty Arts Gallery at 108 W. Miner St., Yreka, CA 96097